As you begin your first year at IU, you’ll start to see all the possibilities your undergraduate experience offers.
We understand that you have lots of questions. We're here to answer them.
Research opportunities. Study abroad. Student activities. Community service. Specialized academic programs. Leadership roles. The Office of First Year Experience Programs at IU offers guidance, advice, and help as you explore options. Through programs, resources, and services, we’ll provide the information you need to make your education and experience at IU everything you want it to be.
Your first IU experience as a student is New Student Orientation but your connection with First Year Experience Programs continues after that. We’ll guide you through IU traditions from the Freshman Induction Ceremony to Little 500, add depth to your academic study through special events listed as part of the Hoosier Experience program, and answer any and all questions you may have about being a Hoosier. At IU, we are unwavering in our commitment to create safe and welcoming learning environments that advocate access, diversity, equity, inclusion, and community for all. Find out more about diversity, equity, and inclusion at IU.
FYE also coordinates Hoosier Link, which is a guaranteed transfer admission program in cooperative partnership between Indiana University Bloomington and Ivy Tech Community College Bloomington.
Our mission at the Office of First Year Experience Programs is to facilitate the orientation, transition, and retention of all undergraduate students during their first year at Indiana University Bloomington.
The values and principles that guide our work include:
- Your experience as a student is the cornerstone of our work.
- Every student deserves to feel welcomed to and included in the campus community. Programs and services are accessible to all students and mindful of the variety of experiences students bring.
- Stakeholder involvement is vital to the growth and evolution of our office and its programs.
- Purposeful collaboration with campus and community partners enriches our programs.
- Programs that encourage and challenge students to expand their worldview through diverse cultural and educational experiences improve the student experience.
- Informing campus about issues related to first-year student success ensures the implementation of best practices.
- Commitment to staff well-being and continued education supports an engaged, healthy, and productive team, allowing us to best serve students.