New Student Online Testing Information
From this site you can connect with any of the available online exams associated with new students and New Student Orientation (NSO).
Please read through the information below and, when ready, simply click on the name of the exam you need to take.
Remember, these are placement exams
- It is important that you do your own work.
- You may NOT use books, notes or any other materials or resources, online or otherwise. Doing so could be considered academic misconduct and a violation of Indiana University's Code of Student Rights, Responsibilities and Conduct.
- You should do the best you can, following the individual test guidelines.
- If you get help or use unauthorized materials, you will likely place yourself in a course which is too difficult for you. If you do not do your best, you will likely get placed in a course below the appropriate level, spending time in and money for a class you don't need
A note about the Foreign Language and Math Placement exams:
We recommend taking this exams at your earliest convenience, at least 3 days or more before your NSO program. While at NSO, you will meet with an advisor who will interpret your scores and determine your foreign language and your math placement levels. Neglecting to take these exams online prior to NSO may disrupt your advising and course registration as well as your academic planning.
Foreign Language Placement Exams offered online are: Chinese, French, German, Hebrew, Italian, Japanese, Latin & Spanish. For information about exams not listed here, speak to your advisor while at New Student Orientation.
You are exempt from the FLPE only if you:
- have IU Bloomington Foreign language credit for 4 or more semesters of a foreign language or
- if you have never studied a foreign language.
You are exempt from the Math Placement Exam ONLY under the following circumstances**:
Students with intended business majors: you must have IU Bloomington credit for both Math-M118 and Math-M119 OR both Math M-118 and Math-M211 to be exempt for the online Math Placement Exam.
All other students: you must have IU Bloomington credit for Math-M118 and Math-M119 OR Math-M211 to be exempt from the online Math Placement Exam.
If your transfer credits have not given you credit for these IU Bloomington course(s), you must plan to take the Math Placement Exam prior to New Student Orientation.
**If you plan to enroll in CHEM-C 117, CHEM-S 117, MATH-T 101, or EDUC-N 101, you must plan to take the Math Placement Exam, regardless of your intended area of study.
This exam is required of students intending to enroll in CHEM-C117, the general chemistry "science major" course. The Chemistry Department has a deadline of June 1 for students taking Chemistry during fall semester. The deadline for the spring semester is to take the exam by December 1. You can also find information regarding Chemistry Exemption Exams at the Chemistry link above.To read more about these exams, or to access the exams, simply click on the name of the exam above.